Monday, July 03, 2006

Is Cindy Sheehan REALLY An Anarchist??

This morning I went to a meeting of local and national peace groups to discuss a week long camp out, peace conference and series of actions in September. While the name Camp Democracy had been widely accepted, Cindy Sheehan who attended the meeting, was not in a good mood and promoted something more outraged sounding like "Fort Fed Up." She said she thought democracy in any and all its forms was a bunch of bull and so did so many people she has met all over the world from her many trips. I suggested the name "Camp Liberty" but an Iraq War veteran shot that down because it was a camp in Iraq.
.
I myself was throwing in my usual two cents for radical decentralism, like saying we should make our motto "it is the right of the people to alter or abolish government," which this bunch of lefties and liberals and various anti-authoritarians largely applauded. I reminded them that blue state people were getting ready to secede after George Bush stole the 2004 election. And I put in a couple plugs for direct, supermajority democracy - i.e., you don't pass any laws unless 80% or more of everyone eligible agrees they are needed. That way you don't end up with many laws, and most of those are strictly local to your community.
.
At the end of the meeting, as Cindy walked by, I said: "Hey, Cindy you sounded like you really hate government. You sounded like an anarchist." She replied: "I am an anarchist! I am an anarchist!"
.
Maybe she'll think better of it in the morning, but later in the day at the start of the big TROOPS HOME FAST fast I'm participating in, Cindy was happy to pose with me and a "Israel, Stop Killing Peace" Rachel Corrie poster. (Photo by Jo Freeman
JoFreeman.Com) That made me feel a LOT better about missing the big Dupont Circle protest at the same time against Israel's latest criminal assaults on the Palestinian people. The organizers of the fast did explicitly support that protest, by the way.
.
My photos of Monday's protest and my Fourth of July adventures to come should be up Wednesday. So come on back!

No comments: